I originally saw this post on Facebook this afternoon. Barnes & Noble is offering the fantastic deal of a free Nook Simple Touch or a Nook Color for $99 if you agree to a 1-year subscription to The New York Times. The NYT comes with a $19.99 a month subscription. Excuse me while I explain the math as I see it.
1) The Simple Touch Nook is $99 regular price. The Nook Color is $199. The Nook Tablet is $249.
2) A 1-year New York Times digital subscription is $19.99 per month. That’s 19.99 x 12 = $239.88, and not including any sales tax that is probably going to be tacked on as well.
So, to get a free $99 Nook, you are going to spend $239.88. OR, to get $100 off a $199 Nook, you are going to spend $239.88.
I have two suggestions that trump this offer.
1) Take the $240 you are going to spend on that NY Times digital subscription, buy you a $99 Nook Simple Touch, then apply the remaining $141 to a gift card and buy you some books for that new Nook.
2) Take the $240 you are going to spend on that NY Times digital subscription, buy you a $199 Nook Color, then apply the remaining $41 to a gift card and buy you some books for that new Nook.
3) Take that $240 you are going to spend on that NY Times digital subscription, put $10 with it and buy you a $249 Nook Tablet. No money left over for a gift card toward books, but you have the higher end Nook and can stream movies, music and applications faster.
The only problem with my suggestions, of course, is if you actually like and want the New York Times delivered to your Nook device. If that is the case, then I suppose you could look at it as either 1) getting a Nook free or 2) buying a Nook and getting the NY Times at a discount. I still prefer my options, though, but that’s just me!