Hopped Up On Meds (A Personal Rambling Post)


I’ve got that cough that won’t go away again. You know the one. The same cough that threw me an unexpected gut punch several months ago. Same one. I haven’t been to the doctor for this one, yet, but am planning on a visit possibly Monday if I’m no better. So far, though, I’ve been taking Benadryl Sinus and Delsym 12-hour cough syrup. Tonight is the worst I’ve had it in several days. It actually seemed to be getting better by Friday evening, then today hit and I’m reeling from the sinus pressure and scratchy/tickling throat that’s making me hack my head off.

But enough about that! There’s other events that happened this week besides me being a wuss with a bad cold. For starters, it was Thanksgiving! That’s right! How’d yours go? Our usual celebration consisted of us packing up the car around noon and heading to my wife’s grandmother’s house. There, she served us up a most delicious ham, dressing, chicken n’ dumplings, mashed potatoes, pinto beans, a beautiful turkey, scalloped potatoes, homemade rolls, creamed corn, apple crumb pie, chocolate pound cake, chocolate and peanut butter fudge … oh my I could just go on and on, but I’m going to have to stop and unbutton my pants just talking about it all.

Being sick with the hacking crud, however, I was sort of a “eat and run” guest. I hung around a few hours, but the Benadryl tends to make me drowsy, so I headed home and planted my butt in bed. That was some of the best sleep I’ve had in awhile, let me tell ya. I did have to wake up to take care of the kids, though, as my wife and mother-in-law geared up to head out on Black Thursday/Friday shopping frenzy. It’s their annual tradition, so I saw them off and settled down with just the baby and the 10 year-old.

Things went remarkably well. No fussing or tantrums from either kid and I actually fell asleep in the recliner due to being so drowsy. I sat up until 3AM, and finally sent a message that we were locking down the house and going to bed. I slept like a corpse. Not sure when the shopping spree ended for the ladies, but I woke up around 8 Friday morning and The Wife was crashed on the couch.

Today was probably my most active day of all. I got up and dressed and we took the kids to see Santa at the nearby shopping mall. A wait of about 20 minutes was all it took, then it was lunch at the Gondolier Italian restaurant. I can back home, once again to get some rest as it’s been my worst day so far (as I said). Nothing seems to be working, so I looked up on Google if it’s okay to take the Benadryl and Deslym together. Now I’m hopped up on some decent drugs and waiting for the cough to ease up before attempting to lay down.

Tomorrow … grocery shopping! We haven’t been grocery shopping in about a month and supplies are looking pretty darn low, folks. I actually had to resort to drinking (gasp!) tap water! I’m also scheduled to put up our outdoor Christmas lights tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I won’t get to hacking and fall off the ladder. That’d be a sight, wouldn’t it?

That’s my holiday weekend, folks. Four days off and I’ve been sick, sleeping or traveling around and couldn’t enjoy it. Here’s hoping the Christmas holiday is better.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s